Smoke DZA & Joey Bada$$ Are In The Mood To Borrow A Scarface Classic And They Wax It (Audio)
Smoke DZA is preparing to release his forthcoming project Not For Sale (April 20). In announcing the LP, he decided to link with his Smokers Club affiliate Joey Bada$$ for the Babygrande Records album’s first single.
“The Mood” is a tribute to all the New York City MCs that came before DZA and Joey, but it’s also a nod to the younger generation who aim to follow in their footsteps. “Finally got my piece of the pecan / Me and mama moving almost stayin’ another weekend / Got no time for snoozing, you know I’m out for Benjamins representing me / Repping for all my people dreaded in my family,” Bada$$ raps, referencing the Nas sample from JAY-Z’s “Dead Presidents II.”
“This is the mood of the youth,” DZA said of the song to Complex. “This is the mood of NYC that we cherish and love.” “The Mood” is produced by 183rd and samples Kanye West’s production for famed Scarface cut “Guess Who’s Back,” which happens to feature Jay.
“The Mood” is just the latest Joey Bada$$ tribute to JAY-Z, or “Dead Presidents.” Last October, during a TV broadcast of a BBC Radio 1 freestyle, Badmon referenced the same “represent me” line while rapping over a pianist’s rendition of Dr. Lonnie Liston Smith’s “A Garden Of Peace,” which was sampled by Ski Beatz for “Dead Presidents.” Joey has also publicly stated that he believes he served as an inspiration for Hov’s 4:44 album. During a Montreality interview last July, Pro Era’s front-man claimed some responsibility for Jay to coming out with one of his best albums in recent years.
Harlem’s DZA also claims in his single that he’s part of the youth movement: “Tryin’ to transcend / Hands in bars, San Quentin / Bring Franklins all across the globe my name ring / Airport customs, walking through, chain swingin’ / You can tell ’em I’m doing my damn thing.”
Smoke DZA’s Not For Sale will feature Ty Dolla $ign, Dom Kennedy, DRAM, and Cozz, among others. It is the follow-up to 2016’s Pete Rock collaboration album Don’t Smoke Rock. That LP also released on the New York City-based Babygrande label (U-God, Grand Puba, Havoc).
The Not For Sale tracklisting:
1. “The Legacy” (Produced by BobGnarly)
2. “The Mood” feat. Joey Bada$$ (Produced by 183rd)
3. “The Come Up” feat. D.R.A.M. (Produced by DJ Steel)
4. “The High” feat. Velous (Produced by DJ Relly Rell)
5. “The Hustle” feat. Bodega Bamz & LevyGrey (Produced by LevyGrey)
6. “The Love” feat. Ty Dolla $ign (Produced by DJ Relly Rell)
7. “The Lifestyle” (Produced by Cardo)
8. “The Antidote” (Produced by LevyGrey)
9. “The Game” (Produced by LevyGrey)
10. “The Glow” (Produced by LevyGrey)
11. “The Soul” feat. Vado (Produced by BobGnarly)
12. “The Hookup” feat. Cozz & Dom Kennedy (Produced by Girl Talk)
FEBRUARY 27, 2018 |